Death of a Retiree
When to Report a Retiree's Death
Please report the retired service member’s death as soon as possible. This will help avoid delay and possible financial hardship to surviving beneficiaries, family members or executors, who will be required to return any unearned military retirement payments. Eligibility for military retired pay ends with the death of the retiree.
What You Need
• Retiree’s name, Social Security Number and date of death
• Death certificate showing cause of death
• Names of retiree’s designated beneficiaries
How to Report a Retiree's Death
1 . Complete a Notification of Death form by calling 800-321-1080. Upon notification, DFAS will stop monthly payments to prevent overpayment. If you cannot complete the Notification of Death form, call DFAS at 800-321-1080. Please have the decedent's Social Security Number and the date of death when you call.
2. Within 7-10 business days after reporting the death to DFAS, you should receive a letter containing the following documents:
• SF1174 Claim for Unpaid Compensation of Deceased Member of the Uniformed Service
• Annuity account forms and instructions (if the decedent was enrolled in the Survivor Benefit Plan or the Retired Serviceman's Family Protection Plan)
3. Complete the forms you received with your letter and return them with a copy of the retiree’s Death Certificate that includes cause of death to:
DFAS U.S. Military Retired Pay
P.O. box 7130 London, KY 40742-7130
If you need assistance completing your claim forms, please call 800-321-1080.
In addition you will want to notify the following organizations:
•Notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 800.772.1213.
•Notify the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) at 800.538.9552.
•IF the member was receiving disability compensation or Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC), notify the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) at 800.827.1000
•IF the member was a civil servant or retired civil servant, notify the Office of Personal Management (OPM) toll free at 888.767.6738.
•IF the member enrolled in DVA-sponsored insurance such as National Service Life Insurance (NSLI) or Service members' Group Life Insurance (SGLI), notify them at 800.669.8477.
If you live near a military installation you may be able to receive help with a Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) or Retired Activities/Affairs Officer (RAO). Please note that these services are not available at all military installations.